Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lauren Visits! Day 2 & 3

Rise and shine! We woke up early this morning to take Miss Tilley for a long walk to tire her out before we left for Charleston! We started our walk at Starbucks and then made our way through the Vista before returning home to take showers. Our chauffeur, Thomas, arrived right on time at 9:30am and had to wait for me of course to finish getting ready. Minutes later we were out the door and on our way to Charleston!

Our trip there seemed like it flew by and made it back in record time. Lauren had visited Charleston before, but only for a weekend in college and hadn't been back since. As you might already know, Charleston has always been one of my favorite cities and I always enjoy sharing its charm with others.

We started our day walking through the Charleston Place lobby, my favorite hotel in Charleston, as we were heading to King St. We arrived in Charleston just as the stores were beginning to open. We spent the beginning of our day going in and out of most of the shops on King.

Before we knew it, it was early afternoon and our stomachs were telling us it was time for lunch. One of the best places for lunch in Charleston is at Blossom on East Bay St. I can't say enough good things about this restaurant and how wonderful it is to be able to eat outside in their courtyard.

Since it was Sunday they had a special brunch menu, which I had never experienced before. Lauren and I both ordered salads while Thomas took advantage of the brunch and ordered chicken biscuits. Everything was delicious and we had a very relaxing lunch while we were recharging for the rest of our day.

We left Blossom's and headed down to the water. The Battery and the houses that face it are absolutely beautiful. Note: If anyone who lives in historic Charleston close to the Battery and is need of a housekeeper and/or nanny, please get in touch, as I would love love love to live there! We walked through the Market and of course made a stop at Market Street Sweets for a sample or two of Pralines, before we purchased a bear claw each for ourselves. YUM!

After such a delicious treat, it was time to do some more walking and shopping to burn off our sweet treat. After all, it was about time we let our very patient, non complaining, chauffeur, Thomas enjoy a few Men's stores, so that's just what we did! After we covered most of the shops and several others were closed because it was Sunday or a Holiday weekend, we headed to the Roof Top Bar at the Vendue Inn for drinks.

It was here at the Roof Top Bar that Lauren introduced both Thomas and me to Mojitos and let me tell you it was love at first sight! Don't get me wrong, I have heard of Mojitos before and how much people enjoy them, but I always thought I wouldn't like them because one of the main ingredients is mint. I don't know what it is about me and mint, because as I told you before I was apprehensive for about the first 20 years of my life about trying my Aunt Jul's Mint Brownies, but I absolutely love Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (the green kind), Junior Mints, Peppermint Patties, etc. so I don't know what made me think I wouldn't like these other delicious treats and drinks that include mint. I am here to tell you I will never question when mint is included again in sweet treats and drinks, however mint ice tea and mint in food dishes is an exception.

Thomas' first Mojitos of course lead to a second and I do not blame him one bit! I am so thankful Lauren made us try Mojitos and Thomas and I can't wait for our trip to the beach this weekend, where we plan to enjoy a Mojitos or two while relaxing on the beach! Lauren loves Mojitos so much it was her and Brian's signature drink at their wedding last year. Wish I knew then how much I would love a Mojitos if I just gave it a chance.

We enjoyed the view of the Battery and the Charleston skyline from the Roof Top Bar. After just a few drinks, and a responsible driver, it was already early evening and we made our way back to our car to get on the road to Columbia.

We made it back safely and needless to say the dogs were very happy to see us! We quickly freshened up and took care of the dogs before heading out to Flying Saucer for a late dinner. I have only eaten dinner at Flying Saucer one if I am remembering correctly, but they have a great menu for a bar. We had another enjoyable dinner, although every other sentence was being followed my a yawn it seemed! It wasn't long after we were heading home to hit the bed.

Without a doubt I was sad that another awesome day with Lauren had come and gone and tomorrow would be our last day...

The next day began pretty much the same way the day before did, with a walk. This time we took a walk on USC's campus and around the State Capitol. Boy, was it humid! After our hour walk, we returned home to watch the Today Show, it is both of our favorite morning show, while we took showers and Lauren packed up. Before lunch we made a trip back to Gourmet Shoppe, so Lauren could pick up a jar of Suzi Sheffield's locally made rosemary sea salt to put on her popcorn! DiPrato's was suppose to be our spot for lunch, however they were closed for Memorial Day, so we migrated to California Dreamin' for one of their delicious salads.

Lauren entertained me and Thomas at lunch telling us stories about all of her crazy travel experiences. Boy, did she jinx us! As we got on the road to head to Charlotte, we hit a long line of backed up traffic, which of course sent me in panic mode since I was responsible for getting Laur to the airport in time for her flight. We were lucky and made it there just in time, but once Laur board the plane, they sat on the run way for a little while before they could take off. Hey, it could have been much worse right?

We had such a fabulous weekend together, I can't wait to do it again! I hope we can make it a annual trip and have Brian and Baxter join us next year.

We miss you, Laur!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment