Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I Have a Love Hate Relationship...

with my hair that is! Have you ever felt the same way?

Since I can remember, I've always struggled with liking my hair. It was close to 4 years ago now that I stumbled upon my beloved hair stylist, Olga. One afternoon at work, when I had enough of looking at myself in the mirror and wanting to hide in a corner, I picked up the phone and called a reputable hair salon and asked to make an appointment the next morning. I didn't care with who, I just wanted to hear them say someone is available in the morning. That is the day I met Olga!

What you don't know is, starting in 8th grade my Mom's sister, my Aunt Joanie, a hair dresser before she had kids, started highlighting my hair. My natural hair color is a what I call "mouse-y brown" basically nothing you would ever like. To make this story short, I had my Aunt Joanie highlight my hair blonde, heavier and heavier each time. At the time I was in love with platinum blonde and in no time my entire head was that color. To say I loved the color of my hair then is an understatement, but it was time for a change.

It was that morning, 4 years ago, I met Olga and she transformed my hair from blonde to brown and I was in love yet again. It was such a dramatic change when I saw myself in the mirror I felt like I had a complete makeover. It was so drastic that some people had a hard time recognizing me!

From that day forward Olga was "my girl." I was in college at the time so I would plan my hair appointments during my visits home. I continued to schedule hair appointments with Olga up until recently due to the fact it has been harder for me to make it home exactly when my hair is acting up and I've had enough.

Finding a hair salon here was a huge task but six years later I was ready to take the leap. I did lots and lots of researched, talked to a few friends, and finally found a hair stylist here that is as talented as Olga.

Back to my hair, I have very thick straight oily hair. Sounds great, huh? I am the girl you see at the hair salon with enough hair on the ground to make 5 wigs and still plenty of hair left on her head. That might be an exaggeration, but it's pretty darn close to the truth. They have to thin out my hair a substanaul amount just so it with lay nicely otherwise it's this huge over powering hair ball for my small face.

I unfortunately have the type of hair you need to wash every day otherwise it looks like you could fry an egg on top of my head from the oil (not really, but pretty darn close) I am so envious of those of you who only wash your hair every few days and your hair looks better with every day that passes from when you last washed it. Maybe that will be me someday, I can only hope.

I've had my hair short and long, with and without bangs, several different colors, and the list goes on. Surprisingly enough, I'm really not picky when it comes to my hair! I usually tell the hair stylist to do what they think is best, afterall they're the experts, right? And we all know hair grows, so what's the big deal?

I am rarely that person that receives compliments on their hair style but rather compliments its color. Which leads me to believe I haven't found the hair style for me quite yet. Probably because I am always changing it. I am the client that every appointment wants to do something different with their hair, is that bad? I just see it as one of the few things that you can change about yourself and change quickly!

Well if you haven't guessed by now, yesterday was one of those bad hair days that lasted all day. I would catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and think, "yuck!" And if you happen to get lucky like me, that really bad hair day happens the day before your scheduled appointment, thank ga! Because I know there is nothing that a hair appointment can't fix!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I have the same relationship with my hair!! I'd had it long for a long time and I ended putting it up in a pony tail just about everyday by lunch time! So decided a few weeks ago - what the hay, I'll cut it short! And I haven't looked back since! I totally agree with you though - there is absolutely nothing that a hair appointment can't fix :)

    So glad you found my blog so that I could find yours! I am now following you!!

    ReplyDelete