Wednesday, June 8, 2011

One of Thomas' Favorites

Over the weekend I came across the "tastebook" I created when Thomas and I first started dating. I was in my last year of college and Thomas had graduated and was working full-time. Even back then we enjoyed watching food network for inspiration, finding new recipes to try, and of course making dinner together. One of Thomas' favorite recipes that he still remembers 4 years later is Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Pine Nut Pesto. I haven't made it since, but I remember us both raving about how delicious it was, so I thought I would share it with y'all!


Grilled Chicken with Spinach & Pine Nut Pesto
Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients

2 boneless chicken breasts
2 C lightly packed baby spinach leaves (about 2 ounces)
¼ C pine nuts, toasted
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 to 2 tsp grated lemon peel
⅓ C plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
⅓ C freshly grated Parmesan

Directions

Heat a grill pan on medium high heat. Lightly oil the grill pan. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.

Combine the spinach, pine nuts, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a processor. Lightly pulse. With the machine running, gradually add ⅓ cup of the oil, blending until the mixture is creamy. Add salt and pulse. Put half of the pesto into ice cube trays and store in the freezer for future use.

Transfer the rest of the spinach mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in the Parmesan. Season the pesto with salt and pepper, to taste.

Spread the pesto over each piece of chicken and serve.

ENJOY!

1 comment: