Monday, May 24, 2010

My Love for Tapas Bars & Sauteed Mushrooms

During our recent trip to Spain, many evenings we would go to a tapas bar for dinner, these always turned out to be my favorite dinners. The thing I love most about tapas bars is you can order several different tapas off the menu since the portions are a very light serving for two. One of my favorite tapas places happened to be in Barcelona, Taverna del Bisbe.

Taverna del Bisbe is where I fell in love with mushrooms all over again. Mushrooms have always been something I've enjoyed but I hardly ever find them on menu's here in America unless they are being served on top a burger or with a steak, but then again maybe I just haven't been playing close attention since they had obviously fallen off my radar. Whatever the case may be, thank you Taverna del Bisbe for the most delicious sauteed mushrooms I've ever had.

Here is my attempt to recreate the sauteed mushrooms I had at Taverna del Bisbe at home. If you look closely at the picture, you may be able to notice that their pieces of bacon mixed in with the sauteed mushrooms I enjoyed very much in Spain. In my attempt to be healthy, while still enjoying the food I love, I admitted bacon from my interpretation. Without further a do here's the recipe...

Sauteed Mushrooms

Ingredients

2 lbs. mixed mushrooms, such as crimini, shiitake, porcini, and portobello

1/2 cup olive oil

1 cup chopped shallots

1/2 stick of unsalted butter

2 tsp. kosher salt

1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

2 tbs. chopped garlic (6 cloves)

1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Directions

Remove and discard stems. Slice the small mushrooms thickly and cut the large ones in to a large dice.

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the shallots and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, or until the shallots are translucent. Add the butter, mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes until they are tender and start to release their juices, stirring often. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Toss in the parsley, sprinkle with salt, and serve warm.

Note: I made these last night as a side with our turkey burgers and they were delicious or better yet you can be like my boyfriend an add them as a topping to your burger!


No comments:

Post a Comment